Honolulu, Hawai‘i, April 27, 2018 – As part of Ingersoll Rand’s recognition of Earth Day 2018, local Trane employees will participate in activities throughout the community to demonstrate their commitment to environmental stewardship and sustainability.
Celebrated by more than 1 billion people around the globe, Earth Day is the largest civic observance in the world. Trane employees in Honolulu will participate in multiple events on sustainability to support the environmental movement and help reduce the impact of climate change.
Trane Honolulu Earth Day community projects included:
· Collaboration with Hawai‘i Energy at the local Trane office for a lunch and learn focused on residential energy efficiency and incentives available in the local community. Trane featured local restaurants who have sustainable practices and have earned the distinction of “Ocean Friendly Hawai‘i” through the Surfrider Foundation.
· Trane employees joined the Surfrider Foundation of the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa and Surfrider Foundation of Oahu on Saturday, April 21 for a volunteer event to clean up the Mānoa stream.
· The entire Trane team, together with their families, participated in the Earth Day Beach Cleanup at Waimanalo, sponsored by the Surfrider Foundation and Sustainable Coastlines Hawai‘i. Sponsors estimated over 1,200 volunteers worked to clean up beaches and reefs on the Windward Coast.
· The office also hosted “Daily Sustainability Challenges” which encourages team members to improve their environmental impacts through waste reduction, conservation, limiting emissions, and energy efficiency measures.
Trane employees joined the efforts of Ingersoll Rand employees around the world, who participated in a variety of Earth Day activities, like planting trees in support of the Earth Day Network’s Canopy Project, to support the company’s Climate Commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from its products and operations by 2030.
“Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do,” said Josh Carpenter, comprehensive solutions leader at Ingersoll Rand. “Our commitment to combatting climate change extends to the environmental impact of our operations, products and services, and people. Earth Day gives our employees a chance to demonstrate that commitment by participating in projects that improve the quality of life in the Honolulu community and put sustainability in action.”
Ingersoll Rand Climate Commitment
Ingersoll Rand made a Climate Commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from its products and operations by 2030. The Ingersoll Rand Climate Commitment pledged to:
- Cut the refrigerant GHG footprint of its products by 50 percent by 2020 and incorporate lower GWP alternatives across its portfolio by 2030;
- Invest $500 million in product-related research and development over the next five years to fund the long-term reduction of GHG emissions; and
- Reduce company operations-related GHG emissions by 35 percent by 2020, a goal which the company has achieved two years ahead of schedule.
In addition to achieving its 2020 energy efficiency goal, the company also announced this month that it has deepened its commitment by investing in both on-site and off-site renewable energy technologies to reduce its impact on the environment. To date, the company’s Climate Commitment has supported the avoidance of approximately 6.7 million metric tons of CO2 globally, which is the equivalent of avoiding annual CO2 emissions from energy used in more than 700,000 homes for one year. By 2030, the company expects to reduce its carbon footprint by 50 million metric tons.
# # #
About Ingersoll Rand and Trane
Ingersoll Rand (NYSE:IR) advances the quality of life by creating comfortable, sustainable and efficient environments. Our people and our family of brands — including Club Car®, Ingersoll Rand®, Thermo King® and Trane® — work together to enhance the quality and comfort of air in homes and buildings; transport and protect food and perishables; and increase industrial productivity and efficiency. We are a $14 billion global business committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results. Trane solutions optimize indoor environments with a broad portfolio of energy efficient heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems, building and contracting services, parts support and advanced control. For more information, visit www.ingersollrand.com or www.trane.com.